“This was a great experience! Team Buildings allowed us to uncover our strengths and weaknesses and learn how to manage those weaknesses while accentuating our strengths. I believe our team will be able to apply our learning immediately back in the workplace.”
Senior VP, Operations
US Software Company
There is not enough information on each basic structure to complete the building; thus, additional information must be requested from the customer, who also scores the quality of the finished
Team Buildings is a Level 2 Simulation
- The entire exercise takes between 3 and 3.5 hours to complete, depending on the scope of the activity (to be determined by the facilitator).
- After a general briefing to all participants, each department is given cards that explain the roles in overall project and assessment criteria for success. Each team has five departments.
- The facilitator assigns the customer role. There is one customer per team.
- The exercise is divided into three phases with team debriefs following the two building phases, I and II.
- Teams are competing against each other. The more buildings they produce to the correct specifications the higher thier score. Quality is important, it is possible to score higher with fewer buildings with high quality than 6 shoddy ones.
- At the completion of the exercise, there is a debrief session for all participants
- To work in teams for the successful achievement of team and personal goals
- To gain awareness of the problems inherent in compartmentalized work and just how effective a team can become
- To identify their own as well as other team members’ strengths and compensate for weaknesses
- To understand that each individual brings unique skills and experiences to the team
- To learn to communicating effectively improves quality and ensures efficiency
- To learn to cooperate and collaborate to problem-solve
- To learn how to clarify and modify roles and responsibilities to meet customer requirements
- To learn first-hand how synergy brings about enhanced individual and group performance
- To learn how to create a positive work environment within which professional relationship are strengthened
- A CD containing the Facilitator Guide and slides for conducting the exercise
- A bell to be used by the facilitator to signal start and end times
- Role cards that are handed out at the end of the general briefing
- Four team packets with the following:
- Raw Materials (Paper)
- Glue Gun
- Glue Sticks
- Magic Markers
- A Quality Announcement to be read by the Salesperson in each team at the end of Phase I
- Team Debrief sheets to be handed out by the Customer in each team at the end of Phase II
- CD-ROM with facilitator materials and resources
- Exercise Length: 3-3.5 hours without assessment, 3.5-4 hours with assessment
- Number of Participants: 12-40 with set of materials, more can be accommodated with the purchase of additional materials
- Space Required: 1 room
- Certification Required: NO, this simulation is designed to be used right out of the box with little pre-planning